Christian Science is more than a religion it is an approach to life. Discovered in 1866 by Mary Baker Eddy, the Science of Christianity is fully explained in her primary work Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures. As Christ Jesus used the laws of God to heal sickness and sin, those same laws can be applied today to bring harmony to difficulties of all kinds, be it on a personal, community or even global level.
The tenets of our Church and of Christian Science are :
1. As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
2. We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God’s image and likeness.
3. We acknowledge God’s forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
4. We acknowledge Jesus’ atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man’s unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
5. We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
6. And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.
From Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy, p497
All those uniting with our local church and/or the global Mother Church of which we are a branch must subscribe to these Tenets before they are admitted into the Church.
In common with all Christian Science Churches our services do not contain personal preaching. We don’t have an ordained ministry. Instead our Pastor is two books – The Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy.
This means our Pastor is available 24-7, you can even take our Pastor on holiday with you – our members normally do!
Our Sunday Sermons are comprised of selections from our Pastor, and our read by Readers elected from the local membership. The same sermons are delivered in Christian Science Churches around the world and studied by Christian Scientists during the week before the Sunday service. They are available to study in a variety of formats – all sold in our Christian Science Reading Room – where they can also be studied free of charge on the premises.
To find out more about Christian Science, its discoverer Mary Baker Eddy, and her writings including Science and Health, check out the following websites.